IMPORTANT UPDATE: As of September 1, 2020, West Michigan Eyecare Associates will no longer be in network with Vision Service Plan (VSP).
Read our new VSP policy letter to patients (sent July 31, 2020)
- Why can you no longer bill my VSP? Sadly, a very important vendor partner, Vision Service Plan (VSP), has made policy decisions that are aggressively unsupportive of our practice and our patients. They have mandated new policies and procedures that would force us to provide you with less quality at a higher cost.
- Do I need to cancel my appointment if your office is not a provider for my vision plan? No. Our office is grateful to be able to care for you regardless of your insurance. Payment for your exam will be collected at the time of service. If your insurance plan offers out of network benefits, you can submit for reimbursement from your vision plan. Our office will provide copies of out-of-network forms for the two most common vision plans, Vision Service Plan (VSP) or EyeMed. VSP provides its members an online reimbursement form – click here to get started. There is a member services phone number at 1-800-877-7195 to help assist you with your questions.
- Can I have my exam at WMEA and get materials such as glasses and contacts somewhere else? You are always welcome to make your purchases with your valid contact lens and glasses prescriptions elsewhere. However, we do want you to know that with this change in no longer accepting VSP, we were able to renegotiate with our labs and lower our pricing on glasses. Our contact lens packages and cost savings rebates have also been reviewed to provide the most cost effective pricing possible.
- Will VSP cover my glasses or contact lenses? We cannot bill VSP for your contacts or glasses at this time. If your plan has out of network reimbursement you can get some reimbursement back for your glasses or contact lenses. We will provide you with the claim form and receipts that you need.
- Will you ever accept VSP in the future? At this time we cannot say. Unless VSP has a change in their policies and procedures that will better support our patients and our small business we will not be planning to re-enroll.
- Can my exam be billed to my medical insurance? Possibly. If you have a medical problem your medical insurance can be billed for the eye health examination and sometimes the procedure of evaluating your vision to determine a glasses prescription. Examples of medical problems that would qualify could include things such having dry or irritated eyes, cataracts, glaucoma, or health problems such as diabetes. Medical insurance will not cover any services related to contact lenses or the purchase of glasses except for in a few rare cases.
- How do I know if my VSP plan has “out of network benefits” for reimbursement? You can visit vsp.com and login to find out what your “Out-of-Network Benefits” are or call VSP Customer Service at 1-800-877-7195.
- What am I going to owe for my exam? If your exam is not billed to your medical insurance, your cost would be $120 (established patient) and a typical contact lens evaluation would be an additional $40-80.
West Michigan Eyecare Associates works with many insurance carriers and payment plans, but we are NOT in network with all insurance policies. If you wish to be seen in our office and have coverage with an out-of-network insurance, we will do our best to assist you in obtaining reimbursement from your insurance company.
To check if we work with your insurance carrier or vision care plan, please call our office for assistance. Be prepared with your specific policy information (insurance company, primary member’s name and date of birth, and contract number). Our friendly and informed staff will be happy to answer any questions you may have.