IMPORTANT UPDATE: As of September 1, 2020, West Michigan Eyecare Associates will no longer be in network with Vision Service Plan (VSP). All VSP Patients will be given a 20% Loyalty Discount on routine services and glasses, and we will help you in obtaining reimbursement from your vision plan.
Read our new VSP Policy Letter- February 2021
- Why can you no longer bill my VSP? Sadly, Vision Service Plan (VSP), has made policy decisions that are unsupportive of our practice and our patients. They have mandated new policies and procedures that would force us to provide you with less quality at a higher cost. It was time to end the relationship.
- Do I need to cancel my appointment if your office is not a provider for my vision plan? No. Our office is grateful to be able to care for you regardless of your insurance. Payment for your exam will be collected at the time of service. If your insurance plan offers out of network benefits, we will help you submit for reimbursement from your vision plan. VSP also provides its members an online reimbursement form – click here to get started. There is a member services phone number at 1-800-877-7195 to help assist you with your questions.
- What am I going to owe for my exam? If your exam is not billed to your medical insurance, your cost would be $120 (established patient) and a typical contact lens evaluation would be an additional $40-80. We now offer a Loyalty Discount to our VSP patients of 20% of routine services and glasses. For an exact quote, please call the office.
- Can I have my exam at WMEA and get materials such as glasses and contacts somewhere else? You are always welcome to make your purchases with your valid contact lens and glasses prescriptions elsewhere. However, we do want you to know that with this change in no longer accepting VSP, we were able to renegotiate with our labs and lower our pricing on glasses. Our contact lens packages and cost savings rebates have also been reviewed to provide the most cost effective pricing possible.
- Will VSP cover my glasses or contact lenses? We will help you obtain reimbursement for materials purchased here. If your plan has out of network allowances, you can get some reimbursement back for your glasses or contact lenses. Most often, we will have the forms completed and sent on your behalf while you are still in the office.
- Can my exam be billed to my medical insurance? Possibly. If you have a medical problem your medical insurance can be billed for the eye health examination and sometimes the procedure of evaluating your vision to determine a glasses prescription. Examples of medical problems that would qualify could include things such having dry or irritated eyes, cataracts, glaucoma, or health problems such as diabetes. Medical insurance will not cover any services related to contact lenses or the purchase of glasses except for in a few rare cases.
- How do I know if my VSP plan has “out of network benefits” for reimbursement? You can visit vsp.com and login to find out what your “Out-of-Network Benefits” are or call VSP Customer Service at 1-800-877-7195.
West Michigan Eyecare Associates works with many insurance carriers and payment plans, but we are NOT in network with all insurance policies. If you wish to be seen in our office and have coverage with an out-of-network insurance, we will do our best to assist you in obtaining reimbursement from your insurance company.
To check if we work with your insurance company, please call our office for assistance. Be prepared with your specific policy information (insurance company, primary member’s name and date of birth, and contract number). Our friendly and informed staff will be happy to answer any questions you may have. Below is a list of some of the MEDICAL insurances we are in network with, but we do not participate with most vision plans.